Dating royal doulton toby jugs
The Royal Doulton company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London trading as Jones, Watts & Doulton in 1815.After Martha Jones left the partnership in 1820, the trade name was changed to Doulton & Watts. By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art.The company added products during the first half of the 20th century while manufacturing fashionable and high-quality bone china. The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 due to clean air regulations preventing urban production of salt glaze.The headquarters building and factory of the Royal Doulton ceramics firm were in Lambeth, on the south bank of the Thames. Following closure, work was transferred to The Potteries.The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The first to be engaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance.In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries. Alban's Church was built in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1887 with Alexandra, Princess of Wales as one of the driving forces, Doulton donated and manufactured an altarpiece, a pulpit and a font.
Ltd, itself a subsidiary of the Pearson Group Doulton & Co. Waterford Wedgwood completed a takeover of Royal Doulton in 2005, acquiring all assets and brands.
On 30 September 2005, the Nile Street factory closed.
Royal Doulton Ltd., along with other Waterford Wedgwood companies, went into administration on 5 January 2009. Some items are now made in the parent company, WWRD Holdings Ltd in Barlaston, south of the Potteries Conurbation.
Doulton products came to the attention of the Royal family.
In 1901 King Edward VII sold the Burslem factory the Royal Warrant, allowing the business to adopt new markings and a new name, Royal Doulton. In 1939 Gilbert Bayes created the friezes that showed the history of pottery through the ages.